Mt. Pleasant couple killed in St. Maarten | News
CHARLESTON, SC (AP/WCSC)- A couple from South Carolina was found dead in a beachfront condominium in the Dutch Caribbean country of St. Maarten on Friday.
Police say the bodies of Michael and Thelma King were found in their condo late Friday morning and both appeared to have sustained lethal stab wounds. Michael King, who is from the Irmo-Chapin area in South Carolina, owned a home there, as well as in Mt. Pleasant and St. Maarten.
According to a release by Chief Prosecutor Hans Mos, a team of 25 officers are investigating the murder. A motive for the crime is unclear.
Local restaurant owner Topper Daboul told The Associated Press that he was a friend of Michael King and that they were building a rum factory together.
He said that King had recently sold an unidentified company in the U.S.
"These two people probably had to hang their wings up at night. That's how beautiful they were," Daboul said. "Their life was pretty successful ... They had oodles of dollars. They had everything they ever wanted in life."
Daboul said he last saw Michael King on Wednesday afternoon.
"I knew some other friends had drinks with them that night," he said. "We weren't able to reach them on Thursday. We called all day on Thursday. The fact that he didn't call made me a little suspicious, but not a lot."
Daboul said he drove over to the apartment on Friday and banged on the door. He said he asked a person who had been on the premises at the time to climb over a fence and see if they saw anyone in the house.
Daboul said the person told him that he saw a dead man leaning over a chair.
The Kings lived part time in St. Maarten and lived the rest of the year in Charleston.
Officials of the Government of St. Maarten have released the following statement concerning the murders:
"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of the couple found murdered at the Ocean Club in St. Maarten. Since the incident is under investigation, we cannot comment about the details at this time, but we can assure you that every government resource is being brought into play to investigate and solve this case."
Copyright 2012 WCSC. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.
Top Mt. Pleasant Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Widespread Panic to return to Lowcountry
- Tickets go on sale for The Killers at Family Circle Stadium Aug. 13
- Man accused of stealing nearly $3k worth of equipment from construction site
- Barenaked Ladies, Ben Folds Five hit Daniel Island July 27
- Annual Charity Duck Race to fill the Wando River with rubber duckies
- Cops: Charleston man attacked, pushed wife down stairs
- Plenty of craft beer on tap Saturday at the Charleston Beer Garden
- SCE&G: Heavy rope fell on Ravenel Bridge, broke three light poles
- Annual Southeastern Beard & Moustache Championships returns May 25
- Student reports threatening tweet to police department
- Mike Perkis named unofficial winner of Sullivan's Island mayoral race
- IOP business owner says his car is not a billboard, city's attorney will review ordinance
- Trio facing federal charges in murder-for-hire plot
- John Corbett Band hits The Windjammer stage tonight
- John Corbett to rock The Windjammer Saturday