Mt. Pleasant intersection set for nightly closures | News
MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC)- Mt. Pleasant motorist will experience a road closure at the intersection of Hwy. 17, I-526 exit 29, and Hungryneck Boulevard beginning Tuesday evening.
The nightly intersection closure will take place between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. beginning Tuesday, February 12 through Friday morning. During the closures, crews will be painting the girders for the bridge over the intersection and installing new signage.
This will be a full closure of the intersection, so motorists will need to plan accordingly.
Painting is a weather permitting activity. In the event of bad weather conditions, the full closure could become a lane closure along Hwy. 17 and the ramp to and from Hungryneck and I-526 as a full closure would not be necessary.
The following detour routes are recommended:
- Highway 17 north bound traffic (heading to Awendaw) can follow detour signs to Bowman Road, just before the new Johnnie Dodds/Bowman Road overpass, take a left onto Bowman Road, continue onto Mathis Ferry Road, and follow Mathis Ferry Road north to US 17. Should Highway 17 northbound traffic either miss the Bowman road exit before the new overpass or want to use Rifle Range Road, there is also a signed detour turning right from US 17 at the Wando Crossing shopping center (just after the Chuck Dawley (I-526) Overpass), then right onto Stuart Engals Boulevard, left onto Bowman Road, and left onto Rifle Range Road to US 17.
- Highway 17 south bound traffic (heading towards Charleston) shall follow detour signs right onto Mathis Ferry Road.
- Hungryneck Boulevard traffic is being rerouted to and from US 17 via Venning Road.
- I-526 Exit 29 Traffic from I-526 to US 17 N (Georgetown) is being rerouted to Long Point Road or US 17 to Bowman Road.
- Northbound US 17 Traffic to I-526 Westbound can use the US 17/I-526 Interchange.
- Southbound US 17 Traffic to I-526 Westbound is being routed to use the Long Point Road/ I-526 Interchange.
- Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Mt. Pleasant Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mike Perkis named unofficial winner of Sullivan's Island mayoral race
- IOP business owner says his car is not a billboard, city's attorney will review ordinance
- Trio facing federal charges in murder-for-hire plot
- John Corbett Band hits The Windjammer stage tonight
- John Corbett to rock The Windjammer Saturday